Monday, September 19, 2011

And Baby Makes Four...

This is my first new entry in almost two years. I enjoyed writing the earlier ones, but somehow I stopped making the time. I need to be more disciplined. Anyway, some things have changed a lot, others things not so much. We had another girl last year...Victoria Karsten...born on Christmas day. She’s lovely, and possessing an easier disposition than her sister. But, Jesus Christ, two babies are a lot harder than one.




Both girls are lousy sleepers: Neither my wife nor I has more than five, maybe six hours of sleep on any given night. At least half the time, I wake up to find both girls in bed with us. In my youth, I used to dream about sleeping with three girls1, but the reality is nothing like what I imagined. Who knew there would be so much crying? By me.


With two children under three years old, you don’t get many breaks. Tori takes two short naps in the mid-morning and late afternoon, while Viveca takes one long nap in the middle of the day. So it’s hard to get out of the house much. We sometimes split them up, but then it’s hard to get chores done around the house when you’re also entertaining a baby/toddler.


Before, when it was just Viveca, we used to spot each other when the other person was ready to lose her/his shit. That person would go to the gym, go to drinks with co-workers, catch a movie, or just get the hell out of Dodge for awhile, while the other one took over. But that doesn’t work with two kids, unless one is left alone with both kids. Then, when you come back, the person left home is so exhausted and pissed off that it almost isn’t worth it.


It would be nice if we could afford some extra help at home. I was thinking a cute little au pair from Sweden or Brazil might be nice. Jen agreed, but her stipulation was that he had to be under 25, with a nice ass. The hell with that shit. We’re not getting no stinking au pair.



1This is pure conceit on my part.  In my youth, I would have been thrilled to be sleeping with even one girl.  The possibility of three at once would have been utterly beyond comprehension, like Sanskrit or trickle down economics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I work for a non-profit organization doing research in education, educational assessment, and education policy. I am married with one child , one cat, and one mortgage. All things considered, life is good.